Thursday, July 10, 2008

Drum roll please......

I didn't get the job. I got a letter in the mail today. I guess my call to HR reminded someone to send out the "Dear John" letters. I had interviewed for an elementary music teacher position at one of the schools that feeds my current middle school. It would have been teaching general music, but less afterschool hours. Oh well. I prayed for the right job at the right time, so I've got my answer. Now I can focus on the upcoming year without any lingering doubts.

Today was Syd's day to join the "puddle jumpers" swim class. She wasn't focused at the beginning, but did really well as the class got going. In fact, one of the teachers said that since she wasn't yet three and couldn't move to level one (the next class) until she was 6, she might benefit from private swim lessons. That way she continued to advance. I'll talk to the teacher more about it at the end of next week. I wasn't going to sign the kids up for any more lessons this summer because I've got to back to school, but I guess we'll see. I can't imagine that I could have a child that swims really well, but I guess it's possible. (I still can't go underwater without holding my nose.) I do know that she loves the water, so anything's possible.

Since I didn't get the job, I know for certain that Shelby will be at the same elementary school next year. I've got her school supply list and am ready to watch the ads. Wonder what is on her list this year? Here it is:
36 No. 2 Dixon Ticonderoga Pencils
3 Washable crayola Thick Classic Markers – 8ct.
2 Colorations Sharp 5” scissor
2 pink bevel eraser
4 red pocket only folder
2 blue pocket only folder
1 yellow pocket only folder
1 green pocket & brad folder
2 120ct Kleenex tissue
24 small (6g) elmer’s glue stick
1 plastic school box large size
1 bounty paper towel roll
1 9x12 white sulphite construction paper
4 expo black fine tip dry erase marker
1 1’ red hardback vinyl binder
1 4oz elmer’s school glue
1 70 ct spiral comp book wide rule
3 8.5x11 – ½” red bl story tablet
1 12x18 solid 50 ct construction paper

Lucky for me Staples, Wal-Mart and Target will all have their school supplies on sale soon. Some of the run weekly specials, so I'll have my eyes open. Last year I went to 4 different stores looking for a Prang watercolor set - it came home in the end of year school supplies without being used. I know what your thinking. Yes, the school PTA does a supply pack that you can purchase, but that thing is pricey. Since I'm out and about each week anyway, I just watch the ads and keep the list with me. I figure I've got to buy things for my classroom anyway, so I can get everything when it's on sale. I usually pick up a few extras, so I've got them when they ask for more supplies mid year. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job. I'll be praying for you as you get ready for another year at middle school.
The first mission trip is over and I'm home for 20-ish hours before the next one starts! Laundry, laundry, laundry. :)

Courtney said...

Walmart's already got their back to school stuff on sale. Check out MoneySavingMom.com for the details.

Sorry about the job, but good to know it's confirmed and you know what's going on for next year. :)