Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

My birthday was really yesterday, but I had the wildest b-day imaginable. Are you sitting down? Here it goes....
About midnight I woke up with a terrible pain in my back. It was on the left side and felt like a charlie horse that you might get in the calf muscle. I woke Sean up and had him rub it, but that didn't do any good. In fact, the pain was getting worse and starting to wrap around to my front. I decided that was it, I was going to the ER. Anything that feels worse than labor pains means something is really wrong. So we loaded the kids up and headed to the hospital. I checked in and sat in the waiting room for a few minutes (now throwing up at this point) before someone came and got me. I left Sean with the girls while they took me to do some tests. The final decision was kidney stones. I've had them before - when I was pregnant with Sydney. I haven't been drinking as much water as I should lately, because I haven't been feeling well. (My stomach's been bothing me.) What do they do about kidney stones? Well, they gave me a bag of saline to get me hydrated and some anti-neausa medicine to stop the vomiting. Most of the time, they would give you some pain medicine right away, but they noticed something in my tests. In fact the nurse asked Sean and the girls to step outside and this was our conversation:
Nurse: "when we were checking for everything else, your pregnancy test came back positive."
Me: "oh ok - WHAT? Why don't you check that again."
Nurse: " I did it twice."
Me: "Seriously?"
Nurse: "you know how some people's pink line is really faint?"
Me: " yes - it could mean a false positive."
Nurse: "You'res was really bright."
Me (making eye contact with Sean outside) "I'm PREGNANT!" (laughing starts...)

So - no heavy pain meds for me. I'm 9 weeks along. I've been tired the past few weeks, but none of my other "usual" symptoms. I just have to drink lots of fluids and call my ob/gyn. We got home from the ER about 6am and Sean took a personal day. It looks like I'm due around mid-February, but I'll know an exact date tomorrow after my doctor's appointment.
This was a complete surprise for both of us. Although it does explain why I've gained a pound this summer when I've been trying to stick with my weight watchers diet. I just kept getting so hungry every day! The good news is that I've got days off to take 6 weeks for maternity leave without having my paycheck cut. Something that wouldn't be possible if I had changed districts this year. I knew there was a reason why I couldn't get a different job this year - just didn't expect this to be the reason. :) What a birthday!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Congratulations! God's timing is perfect! :) :)

Abby said...

Wow SB!! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

You know people have started using "Stone" as a first name (as in Stone Phillips). If you have a boy, you will have to consider it, since it starts with the required "S." The kidney stone episode revealed the child so it's perfect! And hardy congratulations, too!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was my comment, Martha Stone!I do not remember how to identify myself on here!